Latest NewsMotor CycleNews

Malaysian MotoGP cancelled, replaced by race at Misano: organisers

The Malaysian MotoGP scheduled for October was cancelled on Thursday due to Covid-19 restrictions with the Italian circuit at Misano stepping in to replace it, organisers announced.

“The FIM, IRTA and Dorna Sports regret to announce the cancellation of the Malaysia Motorcycle Grand Prix, which was set to take place at Sepang International Circuit from the 22nd to the 24th of October. The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and the resulting entry restrictions for Malaysia oblige the cancellation of the event,” said a statement on the official MotoGP website.

It added: “The FIM MotoGP™ World Championship looks forward to returning to Sepang in 2022 to race in front of our dedicated Malaysian fans.”

This is the second year running the October 24 race in Sepang has been called off because of the pandemic.

The Malaysia round of the world championship has suffered the same fate as the races this season in Thailand, Japan and Australia.

The cancellation of the Malaysian GP has led to the announcement of a second race at Misano, Italy this year.

The statement said: “The FIM, IRTA and Dorna Sports are pleased to confirm that MotoGP™ will return to Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli from the 22nd to the 24th of October, the weekend previously scheduled for the Malaysian GP, for a second Grand Prix at the classic Italian track. The name of this event will be announced in due course.

The date for the Gran Premio Octo di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini remains unchanged.”

The next event on the 2021 MotoGP calendar is the Monster Energy British Grand Prix at Silverstone. Frenchman Fabio Quartararo of Yamaha currently leads the World Standings wth 181 points, ahead of Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati) and Joan Mir (Suzuki) who are on 134 points apiece.

Related Articles

Back to top button