Denmark’s Vingegaard suffers major crash, Roglic and Evenepoel forced to withdraw

MADRID: Denmark’s Tour de France champion, Jonas Vingegaard, encountered a harrowing setback during stage four of the Tour of the Basque Country. In a catastrophic crash involving race leader Primoz Roglic and rising star Remco Evenepoel, Vingegaard suffered a broken collarbone and multiple rib fractures.

The chaotic incident unfolded with high velocity on the descent from the Olaeta climb, approximately 35.9 kilometers from the finish line. Triggered by a single rider’s spill, a domino effect ensued, leaving Vingegaard sprawled on the ground, receiving urgent medical attention.

The severity of the crash prompted race organizers to neutralize the stage, redirecting attention to the injured riders. Vingegaard, at 27 years old, was swiftly transported to the hospital, his departure marked by a somber procession on a stretcher, his neck stabilized with a brace.

Evenepoel, representing Soudal-Quick Step, was also forced to bid farewell to the race, escorted to the hospital for treatment. The Belgian rider endured fractures to his right collarbone and shoulder blade, necessitating surgical intervention upon his return to Belgium. Joining him in the unfortunate turn of events was Slovenian sensation Roglic, compelled to withdraw from the competition.Australian cyclist Jay Vine of UAE-Team Emirates also found himself among the injured, promptly attended to by medical personnel and later transported to the hospital, maintaining consciousness throughout the ordeal.

In the midst of this chaos, South African cyclist Louis Meintjes of Intermarche-Wanty claimed victory in the stage. However, the joy of his win was overshadowed by the somber mood cast by the crash. “It’s not the way you want to win,” Meintjes acknowledged, encapsulating the sentiments of the cycling community amidst the unfortunate turn of events.

The gravity of the situation led to a temporary standstill in the race, with ambulances tasked with attending to the casualties. Despite the disruption, race organizers opted to resume the stage after an hour-long hiatus, albeit under the shadow of the day’s unsettling events.(Reuters)

Related Articles

Back to top button